Friday, June 26, 2015

Things I want in my next boat

1- larger beam- at least 12 feet
We currently have a 9 foot beam. This refers to the width of the boat. I want there to be enough room to lounge without feeling cramped.

2- longer boat- 35-40 feet
At 28 feet, space is tight. After boarding these larger boats, I really feel like they will be a good fit. We grew out of our first 2 boats very quickly. It all depends on what you plan to do with your boat. Our 28 foot boat is fine for overnight. I want something I can live on for a week.

3- more on deck space, better layout
I want a lounge area in the back of the boat with built in seats, the option for a table. A small sink and refrigerator would be ideal. I would also like a seating area near the driver's seat. There should be easily accessible stairs or a walk around to get to the bow of the boat.

4- sun pad on the bow
Two of them would be great. I like the removable snap down pads. Its nice to sit on the bow but the surface is so hard without some kind of cushion.

5- more below deck space with a better layout
I really enjoy comfort in this area. Our 28 foot boat has a space very similar to a camper. There is a patch of floor to go between the v-berth, the kitchen table, the bathroom, and the master cabin. I have seen some Sea Rays that have a little lounge area under the stairs. This lounge doubles as a bunk area and has a curtain for privacy. There is a couch that has a table option. The area is big enough for a family of 4 to relax below deck without feeling crowded. The kitchen area should be its own little space.

6- 2 cabins (or a master and a bunk space)
Our kids are young yet and will likely be boating with us for several years. I want a master cabin and a separate space for the kids. I don't want them sleeping on a converted couch. They need their own space for their things. They go to sleep before us so its not practical for them to sleep in the main lounging space. Jay and I differ on this point but then sleep is not a high priority for him.

7- full or half size refrigerator
We have this tiny dorm size refrigerator with an ineffective freezer compartment. My mother in law once tried to put a bag of ice in there and it melted. The fridge is good for keeping condiments on hand and for beverages. We rely on the cooler to keep food cold. So, my next boat needs to have a bigger refrigerator. I plan to stay on it for at least a weekend. I enjoy cooking and like to have things on hand. Another point Jay and I differ on.
This would be a great kitchen...


8- more storage
We need room to keep a couple of sets of clothes on board for 4 people. I want to logical places to stow my supplies. On deck, I want better storage for life jackets, lines, anchors, fishing gear, etc. There is a tiny spot inside one of the stairs for garbage. While this isn't terrible, a larger spot would be more convenient.

9- electric toilet or foot operated flusher
We have a hand pump toilet. It is the most horrendous thing in the middle of the night. Many times, I will wait until morning to flush it. Also, it takes many pumps to get the flush down. An electric toilet has a button that will flush the toilet very quickly. The electric toilets are more expensive than the pump kind so even a foot pump would be an improvement over what we have now. A foot pump toilet will flush when the pedal is pressed, opening a vent in the bottom of the toilet for the waste.

10- separate shower in bathroom
We have never used our shower. It is the bathroom sink that extends like a kitchen sprayer. There is a door and a shower curtain. Also, since we don't have shore water (attach a hose to your boat and you have pressurized water, not from a tank), I don't even think we could take a shower with the water in our tank. There is a shower at the marina but everyone shares it. I've never used it and don't know how often it gets cleaned. There are some marinas with excellent facilities. When considering boat dockage, that is something to be inspected.


11- shore water hookups
We have a holding tank for our water. We fill it with a hose. Its inside the boat somewhere. There is an opening like the ones for gas and waste. Just fill the right one with water. That sends water through the sinks and the transom shower.

12- AC/heater
When coming on our boat for the first time on a hot summer day, having AC is essential. You're entering a cabin that has been closed up for a week on a boat sitting in the sun. Its hot! AC is used when you are plugged in at a marina or if you have a generator. You need a 2nd power cable or a splitter to run your AC and boat power. A heater is not a deal breaker but if you have a large boat and plan to stay on it during colder nights, its a nice thing to have.


13- hot water heater
This is something I never thought I would need. A hot shower is much better than a cold one.

14- built in generator
Bigger boats usually have this feature. If you are out on the water, away from your shore power, and you want to take advantage of any powered features on your boat, you will need the generator.

15- space to walk around entire boat
This is especially handy when going through the locks. I've always had to climb through a hatch or walk up stairs built into the passenger side (the area next to the driver). I like the look of the boats with this walk around area. Makes it much easier to handle the lines.

16- good size swim platform
On the back of the boat, there is an area where swimmers can enter and exit the boat (motors off!). We have a small one that is enough for 2 people to stand on. They make larger ones where you could fit a lounge chair. Not that you would but that gives you an idea of the size. While we're at it, let's have a better swim ladder. A ladder that mounts on the side of the boat is a wonderful idea- especially for the little ones who are afraid of going to the back of the boat. (this is not me or our boat, just a pic I found online)


Here is a ladder for dogs...(not my dog or boat, just a pic I found online)

17- head room in the master cabin
The ability to stand up in the master cabin. Our cabin is kind of tomb like. You can stand up when you first step in but then getting into bed, its like a coffin space. Its dark, private, and great for sleeping. I found 2 photos. Both are a huge step up from what I have now.
This one is my dream cabin...

For my next boat, this is more likely what I will end up with...

18- central vac
This is something I never knew I wanted until I saw a boat with one. I have a small vacuum I use on board now. Its not very powerful but it will pick up crumbs and bugs. If I want a thorough clean, I can bring my vacuum from home.

19- full canvas with screens
This is for sitting on your deck at night. Its like having a screened in porch to keep the bugs out.

No comments:

Post a Comment